Local History

Home About Us Our Projects Oval Farmers' Market Local History Briefing notes Events

St Peters Italian Church -Chiesa del Redentore (1863)

Consecrated in 1863, St Peters Italian Church at 20 Brixton Road is London’s oldest Italian church and the first in Britain to be built in the Roman Basilica style .  It was the brain child of St Vincent Pallotti who, in 1845, thought of building a church for Italian immigrants.  The original name of the church was ‘The Church of St Peter of all Nations’.

 

St Peters Italian Church - Chiesa del Redentore